Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Van Natter March-April

Guess it's time to catch up!!

March had two major events for us: Jacob matched with the University of Utah Psychiatry residency so Emily and family will be returning to Utah, years earlier than anticipated. We are over the moon about having them living so close. If only the timing weren't so complicated! Jacob starts in Utah on July 1st and their baby is due the middle of July. Who knows where they'll be living??!! We are trusting that things will all work out.

The other major event: John and I were called to be youth Sunday School teachers! I knew immediately that this was inspired. I had been drawn to the new curriculum as soon as I learned of it late in 2012. I had been organizing my own scripture study around the topics of the youth curriculum, and had even set up a notebook so I could collect things that would help teach the topics, should it ever be necessary! I had loved teaching the General Conference talks in RS for over 4 years, but I had felt a change was coming. John is still serving as the Finance Clerk. He's in his 25th year!

We are teaching the 14-15 year old class. Typically we have 4 boys and 1-2 girls. I taught most of them back in our Primary days, so it's like meeting old friends. Except last time I taught them in a Sharing Time I was taller than all of them. Now I'm the shortest!! John and I alternate teaching but participate in the lesson discussions every week. The kids are really smart and really good to participate in the lessons. We are loving this calling!! We just finished "Apostasy and Restoration" and look forward to "Prophets and Revelation" in May.

In early April we headed to Fresno for our first and only trip to see Emily, Jacob, and Addie. We wanted to be there for Addie's 3rd birthday. She loved opening 'pessents' far more than whatever the present actually was! She was uninterested in the little cupcakes: "messy." While there we made a day trip to Yosemite, which is only 2 hours away. We had to take 2 cars, which made it possible for Emily and family to head back sooner than John was ready to. As we came through the tunnel and saw the iconic view of the Yosemite Valley ahead with Bridal Veil Falls, Half Dome, and El Capitan , John was like a little kid on Christmas morning!!! [I had been there several times as a kid, even camped for days with my friend Annie and her family. But it was more than 40 years since I visited last.] John was SO excited. We all enjoyed lunch in Yosemite Village, then went our separate ways. John was able to shoot all the landmarks in the Valley: Bridal Veil Falls, Yosemite Falls, El Capitan, and more. He had a ball! We met up with the kids for ice cream that evening, then the next morning made the 12+ hour trip in only 11.5 hours! (John was so proud!)

For my birthday, Heidi gave me tickets to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which we saw the day after her birthday at the Hale Theater. What a delightful, cute, whimsical, funny musical!! We had such fun!


Emily and Addie have been here for the past week. Emily came house-hunting. Currently, that is all up in the air. I'll let her try to decipher all the complications! It has been such fun having them here. Addie just makes everyone happy.

John and Ian have done a lot of work out in the yard, so it's a little tamer and less jungle-y! [Our front yard is xeriscaped with native plants.] Our backyard is still covered with flattened boxes, a strange sight! They will be tilled into the soil soon, then the grass replanted.

And that leaves us up to date for the moment!
Hope everyone is having a wonderful Spring!

1 comment:

  1. fun update....that pic of Yosemite is stunning! what an artist!!!

    ReplyDelete