Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Stephensons July


July was quite a month for our family. Jacob started his new residency on July 1st and so far he loves it. The hours are a lot better than his old residency and he's enjoying the work much more. He usually has the weekends off, gets done early on Wednesdays and had both the 4th and the 24th off (not working on a holiday, how incredible!)

I was supposed to be induced on the night of the 10th but they were full that night. All the inductions and scheduled c-sections were being postponed. We finally got into a room at 7:30 AM on the 11th. My labor and delivery was a dream this time compared to Addie's! They got my epidural done early because of how busy they were going to be which helped a lot. After a slow start my labor progressed really quickly and I went from a 4 to a 10 in one hour! Neil Patrick was born at 3:42 PM and weighed 6 lbs 7 oz, 20 inches long.

We are so in love with our little guy. I wanted to get out of the hospital right away but they convinced me to stay 2 days. It ended up being nice to just rest and take in the baby. Jacob had time off work so he was there with me during the days.

Neil is a great baby. He cries a lot less than Addie did but he does grunt and groan a lot which keeps me up at night. He's cuddly and loves being carried in a baby wrap or carrier. He's a pretty great little nurser too. I can't imagine life without him!

My gallbladder surgery was 1 week after delivery. It was rough but boy was I so glad to get that tube out and get the whole gallbladder saga over. I was hoping for an early morning surgery so I could get home quickly to the baby but I was scheduled for 11:15-12:15 and it ended up being 1:15 before they even came to start the IV. The surgery went well and the pain wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I had back pain more than anything which stuck around for a week or so. I honestly had much more pain after the tube placement in May than after the surgery.

Thank heavens for Mom. She keeps Addie taken care of and helps out with the baby in the morning so I can get a couple extra hours of sleep. My recovery from both the delivery and the surgery has been better than expected and I think that is definitely because I've had so much help and time to rest.

Addie is doing great with the baby. She has been a little slow to warm up to holding and touching him but she talks to him and about him a lot. She calls him "Baby Neil" and just today I heard her call him "Little Buddy." She covers her ears when he cries but luckily he doesn't do that too much. She's as sweet and busy as ever. She's doing great with her potty training. And she's so excited to start school at Auntie Heidi's, we can't wait!

Despite everything going on at home, Heidi and I are still busy busy with our business. We can't keep up with all the requests! But it's a good problem to have.

Thank you for all the well wishes for our sweet Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment