Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Heidi June-July

Hello!  Have we all melted? 
I've got some catching up to do!
The school year ended on May 24.  I'd been pretty chill about ending my run as a 2nd grade teacher until the night before the last day of school.  Then I realized that  for the last time I'd be walking away from the school as someone with a name on the door.  So that set off about 24 hours of non-stop crying (and I'm not much of a crier normally!).  The last day was a half day.  I was doing pretty well in the morning until one little guy walked in carrying a dark blue gift bag.  This particular kid has Aspergers (related to autism) and had been a challenge.  He loves dark blue.  Any time there's a choice for color he had to have dark blue or he was not interested.  So when he gave me that dark blue bag I lost it!

After the kids left we had a faculty luncheon.  People said some lovely things about me and I blubbered through a speech.  As I was driving away, the 3:15 school's out bell started ringing.  **cue more crying** School really was out!  :`(

I was a wreck through Saturday.  Sunday Mom picked me up to drive to CA.  We stopped in Henderson and then onto Fresno (via Tulare, of course).  We helped Emily get things ready for their move.  Well, Mom and Em did that.  I entertained the munchkin.

We got back to Utah in time for the family dinner at Moulton's.  Annette really out did herself!  A gorgeous spread and such fun details.  I was sad that I was too tired to really take it in.  Grammy came home with me for a sleepover.  The next morning we drove to SL.  Bryce and Amy's wedding was beautiful and when Avery came in it was so special!

Marianne's baby shower was lots of fun.  Low-key (no games!) which always makes it more enjoyable.  Stephanie and Annette did mini-breakfast foods which was perfect because you got to have lots of little tastes (and those muffins were to die for!).  The nautical decor was darling as well.  Annette even got a ship's wheel!  It was also fun watching the triplets (Sophie, Addie, and Avery) pal around.

After that I promptly got sick for a week.  Then a week of treks into school to finish packing and cleaning my classroom.  Then frantic days of revamping the 2nd grade morning work book.  Then plowing through the 1st grade homework.  Now it's stress about the 3rd grade morning work.

Business is going well (thankfully!), it's just hard to get products out quick enough to meet demand.  Also, some of these big products get pretty tedious.  They sell REALLY well though, so it's worth it.
I celebrated the 4th at Mom and Dad's (we introduced them to Thai food).  When Emily had the baby I went up to visit a couple times.  Lots of fun holding the little guy.

I'm enjoying learning about our connections to early America.  I've been to the cemetery in Plymouth where Edward Doty is buried.  If only I'd known!  I guess I'll just have to go back...

At any given point my house is in 7 kinds of disaster.  I get one thing dealt with and 4 more things crop up.  Right now we're in the middle of painting.  I've moved bedrooms and started setting up my office, but I just decided that I want to put down laminate flooring because it will be better for preschoolers.  So that blows a bunch of other plans out of the water...Some day (soon???) it will all come together.

Preschool is getting close.  I've got several people signed up, so that's good news.  Now to just get the house ready so they can come!  I'm feeling like a first-year teacher again.  Not good!  12 years in one grade level gave me a false sense of security.  I have no idea how to map out a year's curriculum for preschool because I don't know how to pace it yet.  So September is planned and the rest will just have to come!  Argh!!

This is the first August I haven't dreaded in a long, long time.  My friends are already talking about class lists and faculty meetings.  I'm not missing it!


No comments:

Post a Comment