So May...We survived end-of-year testing. Phew! And I agreed to help teach the district math trainings introducing the new Utah Core Standards for math. We call them the "Utah Core Standards" because calling them the "Common Core State Standards" like the rest of the country apparently implies we're part of a socialist plot to take over the world. Yeah, don't get me started (and maybe edit that part out when you send it to Grammy). Anyway the idea of teaching it didn't really excite me but, 1) the money was decent, 2) I had to attend regardless so I may as well teach instead of sit through it, and 3) I'm about as well informed on math education theory as anyone in the district so I knew I could make it worth while for the attending teachers. Agreeing to this meant taking a couple half-days away from school. This was the first time I'd left the darlings with a sub all year because they were so CRAZY for me. The one time I tried to have a sub I'd had to come back to school part way through the day, so this was new territory for us. And they did really well! Yay! They have grown up!
I managed to get a sinus infection half way through the month and ended up taking half a sick day (the first all year--thank you Vitamin D and your immune boosting benefits!). Again the kids did really well!
We also staged our opera. This is the last one we're doing. We're doing something else instead next year. Not sure what yet...
The plot this year was some hungry wildcats hear a boulder rolling toward their jungle. They try to eat the magical golden meat that will make them strong enough to save their homes, but the anacondas and monkeys fear the wildcats are tricking them (with their inferior sense of hearing they don't know about the boulder) and just want to take over the jungle. So the wildcats drug the monkeys and try to sneak the meat. Then the anacondas hear the boulder too and the sound wakes the monkeys. Everybody eats the meat and they all work together to stop the boulder. And then they have...a fiesta!
Instead of taking a trip this year, I've been updating the living room. New entertainment center (Ikea) and a new TV. It finally looks like adults live here instead of college students! I still need to paint and decide on some pictures...
On the last day of school, I threw a Scottish Appreciation Night for some friends. I wanted an excuse to use the new TV and watch The Decoy Bride (set in Scotland) hence the theme. We had a "Shepherd's Pie Bar" Like a mashed potato bar with different toppings, except I cooked up some shepherd's pie filling. Thanks for the Bisto (and the push pops) Aunt 'Nette! I made empire biscuits (man those are time consuming!) and shortbread. We had sausage rolls and Welsh rarebit crostini and beans-on-toast crostini. I made a chilled pea salad which was surprisingly good. And chocolate trifle push-pops! We played Scottish trivia (Emily won) and watch the movie. It was loads of fun!
ETA: I stole this picture from Em's blog.
I spent the first part of June recuperating. Then was off to Core Academy training (tres dull) and worked on getting the Morning Work Book and 2nd grade homework listed in our shop. It turns out that those are 2 very lucrative items! It's making me eager to get more up for sale!
We had our first book club at the end of the month. I hosted and we read the book Matched. I have pictures, but my camera's downstairs so...just imagine!
We had chicken salads, mac & cheese, and ham sliders in separate foil bowls like in the book. And we had lots of desserts (like Grandfather's feast in the book). Lots of fun! I hope this becomes something regular (although I don't want to host every time!).
For July 4th I went to see the parentals. The house looks so different! I can't wait to see the finished product!! Now I'm in the middle of teaching the district math trainings. Half-way done! Hopefully this week will go without anyone yelling at me...Teachers are the worst!!

Yes, those darn teachers and their own opinions! Good to see you posting again! Missed your humor and your updates. Some of this info doesn't get relayed in phone chats!
ReplyDelete