NOVEMBER
November was a bit of a blur. Emily continued taking the kids to Provo on Monday and Wednesday so Addie could attend Heidi's preschool.
Baby Neil rolled over. Still waiting for him to roll back.
John got a new hobby: installing a "Comfort and Control" system. First one was Iris, but when the new Staples one came out, he switched. It's much faster. We can control lights and furnace from our devices. He is having way too much fun with this! We can install remote control blinds in the living room window and open/close/adjust them from our tablets! I doubt he'll stop till we're fully automated and then he'll just keep upgrading!
Pretty much the whole family got sick but were better by Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving at Annette's. Always a fun and happy time. Next year we plan to have it at Emily's new home in Farmington. Annette won't have to host for once! And we won't have to drive for 90 minutes each way!! Win-win!
My camera died so I have no pictures. Just imagine everyone smiling.
DECEMBER
December began with more sickness. Baby Neil ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. We knew something was wrong when all he would do was lie on our chests and nestle under our chins. Emily even took him to the Urgent Care and they said he didn't have strep or flu and sent them home. When Jacob came home from work he didn't like the looks of things and took him to the emergency room, where he was admitted for 24 hours. Emily has photos if she ever catches up!
During that week I was trying to write a talk for Sacrament Meeting while babysitting, etc etc. There was some definite divine help because I found all the resources I needed to put the talk together easily - like butter! And when I timed it the first time, it was exactly the length it needed to be. That never happens! I always over-prepare and have to cut/cut/cut. Tender mercies!
Emily and I braved taking both kids out at the same time and hit World Market and Trader Joes in SLC for stocking stuffers, etc. The kids were great and we had a ball just getting out. Emily and I never ever go anywhere together because of the kids, so it was a special moment.
Although it wasn't a typical December ( I only put out a handful of nativities, baked one thing only, very little decorating of any kind, etc.) I tackled a project called 24 Days of Giving that I learned from the site "Daily Closer to Christ." It was fun to look through my little cards with ideas on them and decide which thing I would do that day. So I sent some $ to missionaries who wouldn't have had a Christmas, paid for someone behind me in line,cheered someone up, lifted a heart, and remembered a forgotten [new] friend by giving her the ring I'd worn all year- "Light" - that reminded me of my word for the year. When I learned on a message board that she had chosen that word for this year I offered her my ring. So a gal named Debbie is wearing it in Gilbert, Arizona! It was a very do-able, Christ-centered project despite the craziness of life with babies. (I feel for you young moms!)
The family party at Annette's on the 22nd was fun as always. The appetizers were delish and varied. I made Funeral Sandwiches (or ham and swiss sliders) which were easy, yummy, and well-received. [recipe to follow] We had the little ones do their own White Elephant exchange and that was such a hoot trying to get them to sit in a circle, pass the gift around while the music kept playing... Luke was the essence of patience with the three 3 year olds: Sophie, Avery, and Addie. This was the first time that I actually had the hot chocolate and I now bow to Annette's wisdom in making it from scratch instead of using powdered mixes like I always suggest. John and I drank it driving back home and it was just super-duper yummy! [Yay, Annette!]
Christmas Eve we changed up our traditions, dropping the Bethlehem Supper we've done for so many years (decades!) and instead having cheese fondue. Easy, delicious, and many thumbs up!
Christmas Day was just perfect. Neil took a long nap at the right time, Addie was delightful and happy to play with each thing she opened - so even after we were all done she still had unopened gifts and didn't even care! John surprised me, thanks to Annette telling him I had pinned this, with a beautiful origami-looking nativity.
I'm sure there are lots of details that I have missed, but just know we are enjoying this time with the kids here. Of course we look forward to having a clean and tidy and quiet home again. But when that happens we'll be missing them so much. Good thing they will only be 20 minutes down the road. [In case Emily doesn't update they are scheduled for an April or May move-in. Depends on what the winter holds.]
Our love and best wishes to all of you for a wonderful, happy, prosperous, healthy, exciting and delightful 2014.
love Kathi and John (recipe below)
FUNERAL SANDWICHES
Ingredients
For the sandwiches:
- 24 King’s Hawaiian Rolls
- 24 slices deli slice Honey Ham
- 24 slices deli slice Swiss cheese
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- 4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced onion (or 2 tsp. dried minced onion)
- Poppy seeds, for sprinkling
1. Cut the rolls in half. Lightly oil or spray baking pan with Pam. Line the bottom of a baking pan with the bottoms of the rolls. Layer the ham slices, then cheese and place the top half back on.
2. In a medium bowl mix together the melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, brown sugar and onion. Pour the entire concoction over the buns, drenching each one. Sprinkle each sammie with poppy seeds. Cover tightly and marinade anywhere from 4-24 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes, uncovered or until cheese is melted and bun tops are a bit golden. Serve warm!



No comments:
Post a Comment