I think this is finally going to work! I've tried many times to get on the blog and nothing ever worked. So sorry that no one has heard from me in 2 months. So to catch you up:
In early July we drove out to UT for the Baker Reunion. We picked up Holly in Omaha and stayed the night in NE. We were so excited to see everyone, especially Jacob's family. We spent a day with them before we drove down to Bryce Canyon. The kids looked great. Galen is still not interested in us, but that will come with time. One the way down to BC, we stopped at the Manti Temple to view and then to Circleville, the tiny town that Mom Baker was born in. We went to the cemetary to find Grandpa Simkin's grave and found it. He was buried by his first wife. Then on down to Bryce. The weather was beautiful the whole time, even chilly at night, which suited me just fine as I'm rather warm these days. There were 85 Bakers there, all 8 of the siblings and many of their children and grandchildren. We did alot of touring the canyon area and did many hikes. Bryce Canyon is incredible. I had never seen it before and the views were magnificent. Every night we had one of Jacob's kids stay with us in the hotel room. We loved being with the kids. We also loved seeing so many of the family and catching up. On the last night of the reunion we had a big dinner and then the usual skits from everyone. Jacob did a funny one by himself, and Calvin, Holly and I did the Newlywed Game. We had each sibling pick a couple from their families to be in the game. Calvin was the MC and Holly and I wrote each answer down on boards. It was hilarious. The winners were the most newly wedded! It was wonderful to see everyone and sad to say goodbye.
Later in July, we had a tremendous rain storm which brought alot of water into the basement, again. Poor Colin's room got flooded again. Part of Holly's closet and part of my quilting room was wet too. Calvin moved all the furniture out of Colin's room and pulled up all the carpet. Friends of ours, the Comstocks, came over to help out. Olivia and I sucked up at least 10 gallons of water from Colin's room. Incredible. We pulled out our fans and borrowed a few from others and set them to dry out the carpets for the next few days. We've yet to put the carpet back in place, we're waiting for the carpet guy to come by. That was a huge mess. The problem was because of a backed up downspot outside so Calvin fixed that and it's worked well since.
Calvin was out of town so much in July and all of August, coming home Tuesdays so he was able to go to his Stake Meetings Wed night and then the next morning he was gone again. I don't mind him gone every week, but most of the week gets long for me. His right shoulder started up with alot of pain in his neck which moved down into his shoulder just like it did to his left shoulder 5 years ago. And we knew what that meant: another torn rotator cuff. More surgery. Very disappointing. He finally got into the orthopedic doc who took xrays first and and only saw some arthritis and then had Calvin get an MRI which showed no tear at all. That really surprised us. He does have arthritis, along with bursitis and tendenitis too! All the 'is's'!! So out comes the 3 foot long needle (so Calvin says!) and he got a cortisone shot. Which has helped quite a bit, but he has a ways to go. Thank the Lord there's no need for surgery. We thought for sure he was heading that way.
Later in July I went down to Indy to spend a few days with quilting friends. We've done that for a few years now. I really love getting together with them.
I was released, sadly, from Young Women's recently and called to teach Gospel Doctrine. I was in YWs for 3 years so I guess it was time, but I sure miss the girls. I've taught GD twice now, I fretted a week before my first lesson. I've never taught adults before, except an occassional Relief Society lesson when I was president. This is a real stretch for me. Thankfully I wasn't as nervous teaching this last lesson. I guess each one will help me be more confident.
We're making plans to go to Boston in October for a trip. We've always wanted to go and have found some fun tours to take. Hopefully we can pull it off.
We loved the Republican Convention last week and so proud to be suporting Romeny/Ryan. How anyone could vote for Obama is beyond me.
Poor Ethan broke his arm and collar bone recently while jumping ramps on his bike. Poor thing. He's done well with his recovery. He and Mylyn are in the 3rd grade now, and Clara is in the first grade. They started new schools so it was a bit worrisome for them. Amanda had surgery on her right knee recently too and the surgeon repaired the torn miniscus but found she has no cartilidge left in that knee so after her recovery she will be limited to certain exercises. Jacob and been busy taking care of the family. He started teaching at BYU again.
Kelli found a new job!! Closer to Indy and she's so excited. Especially cuz it's weekend work that's considered full time work so she gets good pay with full benefits. Emmanuel's office has moved to the north side on Indy too so they will both be closer to their work. Kelli will have no work during the week so she can have normalcy. She found a wonderful pre-school for Joseph and he attends twice a week.
Holly had an ESL job in August working with Chinese students. They not only met during the day but did some tours of the state too, like going to Rapid City and seeing all the sites there. She didn't love the job, but it was money and that's always good. She now is teaching at the university, just one class and 2 classes at Briar Cliff College in Sioux City.
Colin flies out to Louisville KY to interview for a job there. That's exciting. A tv station in Tucson has shown interest in him too. So good luck to him.
Sam turns 21 next Sunday and he now has 3 more months to go on his mission. He thinks he'll be home on Dec. 1, but we've received no official notice yet. He'd like all his siblings there to greet him home so I hope it works out.
Recently Calvin and I went out to dinner with the Indiana Mission President and wife. They're allowed a short vacation every year while on their mission but after 2 years, this is the first time they've been able to get away. Calvin talked him into coming up here so we can show him Amish country. We drove them around and they couldn't get over the beautiful countryside. Sis. Collins called it the Garden of Eden. A very nice compliment. We had a great time with them. They stayed overnight in Middlebury and then had most of the next day to shop and look around.
Love to all the family,
Claire and Calvin
No comments:
Post a Comment