The truth is that it's now August, and nearly halfway through - but thankfully I keep a journal or I'd have no idea what happened just a few weeks ago. Construction continues, and for the last two weeks, it's been going on inside the house. Noisy, dirty, dusty, inconvenient. But the end result will be worth it, right??
We began July mourning with a family in our ward whose Utah Highway Patrol member son was killed during a search and rescue on Mt. Olympus. He left a wife and 3 children, two of whom are autistic. We watched him grow up since his family has lived here even longer than we have. He and his brothers used to play football with our backyard neighbor's boys, and jump our fence to retrieve their lost ball. (Causing a bend in the fence rail!) I made a salad for the funeral meal which is attached below. It was heartwarming to hear his parents share their beliefs on television (this was big news in Utah) and know that although they mourned, they were confident about where their son now was.
Heidi came up to spend the 4th of July with us. We didn't do anything special, except get Chinese for dinner - our tradition of more than a decade now!! It was fun to spend time with her. And the food was yummy!
John moved our network cables and cords and equipment down to the basement, but it will eventually reside in a small closet in the new laundry room. We've struggled with slow internet for awhile and he's still trying to figure out that issue. He is enjoying this construction project and has taken several days off to be here and help where he can.
I spent a day with Annette when the power was going to be off in the house all day. John stayed here and helped the electrician switch out our long-ago-recalled electric box. (The electrician is in our Bishopric.) The only bright spot is that the box is in the basement, which is cooler than upstairs. They finally finished about 3:30.
Annette and I met at Zupas for lunch. We used to do that fairly often - at least more often than we have in a couple of years! Then we headed back to hang out at her house. She pointed out the things she loves about her kitchen and I took photos so I could tell our contractor what I wanted. And I ended up getting everything I had wanted! Except my pantry isn't as big as I'd hoped, but there was only so much that could be done in the space.
We exchanged birthday gifts - 4 and 5 months late!!! She gave me 4 books, and I am in heaven! I LOVE to read! I got her a little nativity made of hand-molded clay, found on Etsy. Thanks for letting me veg, Nette!
One task I had to deal with before the construction moved indoors was getting the wallpaper off one wall of the kitchen. Thank heaven I had never finished that project, which originally called for papering more walls! It took two full days just getting it off the one wall. And John had to do the top foot since I couldn't reach, and didn't feel confident on a step-stool (with my leg/foot issue.) Now we face the agony of getting the wallpaper border off the entire living room and hallway so we can have it painted to match the kitchen, now that it's all one room.
I was surprised that I had such an emotional reaction to my old stove being removed. It's the original to this house, so 34 years old! For years, I have wanted it to die so I could justify getting a new one. But only a burner and a broiler element went out, both easily replaceable! So when it came time to see it go, I suddenly remembered all the birthday cakes, Christmas cookies, after-school treats, Thanksgiving turkeys I had prepared in that oven. Who would guess a piece of metal would hold such memories!! A favorite photo is of Ian, just turned 6, sitting in front of the oven window, impatiently waiting for his favorite Snickerdoodles to finish baking!
As far as construction went in July: insulation, drywall, electric sockets, fireplace framed, doors and windows installed, new roof shingled, front of garage bricked, siding begun, garage door installed, and kitchen demolished the last day of July. I posted some photos of the kitchen that day. It was crazy time. And now we have one big kitchen/living room=great room!
Here's the recipe I made for the funeral meal. I wanted to do something with fruit, and honestly, I would classify this as more of a dessert than a salad, but it is really yummy whatever you serve it for! Fun find on Pinterest.
Strawberry Cheesecake Salad
by Chelsey W.
12 oz. whipped topping
1 small package of cheesecake pudding (powder)
3 (6 oz) strawberry yogurts (I use Yoplait)
1 lb fresh strawberries, sliced
3 bananas, sliced (add just before serving or they brown)
miniature marshmallows (add just before serving)
Thaw whipped topping and in a large salad bowl stir together whipped
topping, yogurts, and pudding powder. Let this set up in the fridge for
at least an hour before serving. Wash and slice strawberries. You can
add strawberries to salad or wait to add them with sliced bananas and
marshmallows just before serving. Keep refrigerated.


So you came drove PAST my house to get to Aunt 'Nette's and don't stop by. I see where I rank.
ReplyDeleteWell in my defense, you were teaching teachers that day.
ReplyDelete